Thursday, June 2, 2011

Winter in My Bones

I sat for a time on a well-remembered stump,
remains of an old friend now drying in the returned sun
and was overcome by the the undisturbed warmth about me.

I imagined I felt the warmth of that sun probing me
trying this locked pore and that weary patch of scalp to enter.

But I remained closed...the cold within
holding court in my very marrow.

Snow and storms in my soul
Winter in my bones.

This will pass as the days grow long once more,
I will know summer again this season

But I was shocked to so easily foresee
an older me that will someday find winter
clinging tightly,
even as summer's holds takes the rest
and rules unchallenged for its season.

How is it that such chill foreknowledge haunts
even as the woods surrender to warmth and returning beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment